MNN’s Commonwealth Insights publications highlight policy, issues, and trends important to the nonprofit sector. In each edition, we’ll feature data and stories that illustrate the full depth and breadth of the nonprofit sector in Massachusetts.
2017 First Edition:
In our first edition of Commonwealth Insights of 2017, we looked at one of the most powerful anti-poverty programs available, the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and what Massachusetts nonprofits, government offices, and civic organizations are doing and could be doing more of to close the awareness gap among eligible residents.
Key points and recommendations include:
What Needs To Be Done:
- Increased tax season outreach – By nonprofits, government offices, and civic-minded organizations
- Expanded availability to vulnerable populations
- Improved payment plans and state match
- It’s one of the most powerful anti-poverty programs available
- In Massachusetts, over 100,000 who are eligible don’t yet utilize the EITC
- Approximately 1 of every 3 children in Massachusetts lives in an EITC-eligible household
Released one month ahead of the tax-filing deadline, this report serves as a call to action to nonprofits to use their unique position in communities across the Commonwealth to spread awareness of and access to this important credit.
The Commonwealth Insights series is made possible by support from the Barr Foundation.