Nonprofit organizations are allowed to do advocacy and lobbying, although there are some restrictions.
- Nonprofit Advocacy is NEEDED– National Council of Nonprofits
- Beyond the Cause: The Art and Science of Advocacy
- 501(c)(3) Permissible Activities
Here is some useful information to help you get started on an advocacy or lobbying campaign.
Confused about the new Massachusetts lobbying requirements and if you might need to register as a lobbyist? The following information will help.
Electronic advocacy (e-mail, social media) has become a great way for organizations to get people to commit to their cause.
Sample phone/mail text
If you are trying to encourage people to contact their legislators about a certain issue, it’s helpful to provide them with as much information on the issue as possible. Here are some suggestions for phone and mail (could also be used for e-mail) scripts.
Need to find your legislators?
- Governor Baker/Lieutenant Governor Polito and Cabinet
- State Senators/Representatives
- US Senators: Senator Edward J. Markey and Senator Elizabeth Warren
- US Representatives